Monday, March 9, 2015

Thinspiration or Anorexia ?

When watching Laci Green's two videos Thinspiration and Fat Shame, my first reaction was “you go girl” The way she approached these videos I really enjoyed because she was very informational but at the same time you knew that she disagreed with these trends. These YouTube videos are so important especially today because of the impact of social media on body image. In our society, we are seeing an increase in anorexia because of the need to look like supermodels, actresses, or athletes.
I liked how she talked about what most concerned her was how there were blogs that informed people on how to hide starving themselves. It really shocked me to hear that there was bogs like this. In class when we first started talking about Thinspiration on Tumblr, I did not know what it was about, but after seeing it for the first time I understand why Tumblr would have a pop up that said “Everything okay? If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, NEDA is here to help: call 1-800-931-2237 or chat with them online.” Hiding the problem of an eating disorder such as anorexia is a reason why it has the most deaths compared to any other mental disorder! The fact that people would want to basically teach others how to kill themselves is something I don’t think I will ever understand. Although I have had insecurities or concerns about the way I looked and felt, I personally could never stop eating to accomplish looking better.
Another point I liked that Green mentioned was the causes of anorexia. One theory is that women are not valued by what we do but more on how we look. I personally think this theory is true and it frustrates me. Why is it that just because I am a female that I have to look good 24/7 or look a certain way? Why does my body have to be perfect with a flat stomach, a firm butt, and perky breasts? The answer is it doesn’t, but men see it as a threat if we look more like them. We could be equally as qualified, smart, and have a good personality like them but if we look like a pretty bimbo, we are automatically labeled as stupid.

Being content with yourself is a constant battle, especially if you are a woman! I don’t think it is a problem of changing the way you look to make your feel better. Personally I did. I was always athletic since I was a young girl. I wanted to look as good as I felt so, I worked out when I wasn’t playing a sport. I also took care of my body by not eating junk food all the time and getting enough rest! As long as you are not hurting yourself or making a change for someone else, I believe you can modify or not modify your body if it brings you happiness and you are content with yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment